Professional Lawn Maintenance Advice.
Watering your grass is essential to its appearance and healthy condition. There is not a homeowner that does not want beautiful and green grass growing in the backyard, so that they can enjoy a pleasant time there. However, this is not easy to achieve, as it needs regular care and lawn maintenance. Going to extremes is never a good idea, as there is a perfect balance, which is just right to keep the health and attractive appearance of your grass. The following article will introduce the steps you need to follow, in order to achieve the condition and color you expect from your lawn.
How Often to Water the Lawn
This depends on a lot of factors. The most basic ones are the type of your soil and grass, as well as the weather conditions. Exposure to sun and wind also play a role in the frequency in which you need to water your lawn. Another factor is the fertilization. A lawn that has been properly fertilized can go longer without water, in comparison to one that lacks the basic nutrients it needs to develop and grow.
Usually, there are visible clues, that indicate when you should water the grass. Change in color is one of the most common ones. Also, if you notice footprints in the grass staying longer than usual, and you see spots where the grass is missing, then it is quite obvious. It needs water!
How Much Water
Each type of grass and soil has different requirements for the amount of water you should apply to them. Usually it is at least half an inch for clay soils and an inch for sandy soils. It is best to consult with a professional lawn maintenance company, in order to determine the exact amount for your individual situation.
If you need more advice on how to maintain the health and look of your lawn, you can contact Mountain Heights Lawn Care LLC at (205) 229-1015. We are an experienced company, that can help you with anything you need. Our services are available in Birmingham, AL and all surrounding areas, within 30 miles.
How Does Aeration Help Your Daily Lawn Care?
Aerating is constantly overlooked when you have time only for the mowing, fertilizing and watering. It is understandable, in these stressful times, that everyone forgets something from time to time, but this is one detail you should definitely include in your lawn care schedule. After all, as sod ages, the soil can become compressed, leaving no space for proper aeration. This makes it difficult for the roots to absorb water and the much needed nutrients. If you neglect this element, in time the grass will become weaker and more vulnerable to weeds and unwanted insects.
Aerating is not a complicated process, as it consists of removing small cores and plugs of soil, which you can redeposit in the surface. This frees up space for the water and air to spread properly, and reach the roots of the grass. How will you know if your soil needs aerating? It is quite simple. Just cut out a couple of sections of turf grass, about 5 to 6 inches square and 6 inches deep. Inspect them, and if the roots go down only a couple of inches, it is definitely a good idea to begin aerating.
You should also bear in mind that grass roots are longest during the late spring, and shortest in the late summer. The best time for the job is to do it early summer or early autumn, as the grass is at the peak of its activity during those periods. You should also know that usually, only older grass needs aerating.
What you should do:
- First of all, you should carefully mark any underground objects you have, such as sprinkler lines, utility cables and septic systems, in order to avoid any damage to them during the process.
- Water your lawn a couple of days before aerating, so that the plugs fall out easily.
- Reseed or fertilize your lawn immediately after aerating.
If you are experiencing any kind of difficulties, you can contact Mountain Heights Lawn Care LLC, at (205) 229-1015, for advice and assistance. We are a professional lawn care company, operating in Birmingham, AL.
What To Look For In A Lawn Care Service.
Every home owner, who needs to maintain a home with a yard, knows how exhausting yard work can be. Keeping nature under control and good-looking is a round-the-clock job. That’s why most home owners prefer to hire a lawn service and avoid getting dirty, and wasting their time. Very few home owners know, what to look for in a lawn care service and often get disappointed by their contractors. Here is what you should consider before hiring a contractor next time:
- Experience can be very important when it comes to providing a quality lawn service. That’s why one of the first things to ask about, is the practice and expertise of the contractor. The general rule is – the more experienced the contractor, the better services he can provide for you.
- An experienced lawn care service is nothing without professional attitude and attention to details. You need to pay attention for signs, that give away the level of professionalism in the company. Do they keep their appointments? Are they punctual? Do they look presentable? Does their internet site look reliable and trustworthy? Avoid companies that don’t meet the requirements for professionalism. It can save you a lot of future disappointments.
- Once you find a lawn service, that is both professional and experienced, it’s time to ask for the price. Be sure to ask for estimates from at least a few companies, so you can compare them. Don’t take promises, however, only written estimates!
- Once you have the prices, you will have to compare them. Our advice is to keep off the lowest offers, as they are the least reliable. A lot of contractors cut corners in order to be more competitive. Calculate the average costs and look for an estimate close to that.
- If you are not sure about your choice, check the company’s reputation. You can easily find testimonials and reviews from previous customers. If they have more positive comments and satisfied customers, then you have nothing to worry about.
If you are currently on the market for a good lawn care service and you are located somewhere in Birmingham, AL, or the surrounding area, Mountain Heights Lawn Care LLC is the company you can trust. We cover all of the aforementioned requirements and have a good reputation in the community for providing quality services. Reach us at (205) 229-1015.